Monday, April 15, 2013

Track Meet Muffins

What to do with leftover bananas from the husband's high school district track meet? Make banana muffins! I didn't already have a recipe that I LOVED, so I searched banana muffin recipes on my All Recipes app on my nifty I Phone until I found one that I could use as a base recipe. The recipe I decided on had a five star rating (with 2,058 ratings under its belt)! Wow, if that many people were impressed, I knew I just had to try it!

This was a use whatever is in the pantry/ refrigerator recipe, so I tried to add a little something for each one of us to make it incorporate our favorite flavors. For Doodle Bug I added raisins, for the husband I added my homemade spice blend, and for myself I added dried apricots and craisins. I always like to add in yummy extras to suit my family's taste buds.I also took the liberty of squeezing in a little iron and omega 3 by adding flax :)

This recipe is super easy! I'll include the original recipe ingredient list first-- then I will add my extra ingredients spin on it.

Base recipe from All Recipes:
  • 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 large bananas, mashed
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg 
  • 1/3 cup butter (softened)
What I added:
  • 1/2 cup organic flaxseed meal 
  • a handful of rasisins
  • a handful of craisins 
  • a handful of dried apricots
  • 1/2 teaspoon homemade Pumpkin Pie spice blend (you can find my recipe here)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ceylon cinnamon (once you go Ceylon, you NEVER go back!)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Madagascar vanilla extract
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 and prepare muffin tins.
  • In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment,cream softened butter and sugar
  • add mashed banana
  • add vanilla extract 
  • add egg
  • In a small bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and spice blend.
  • Fold in flour mixture, dried fruit, and flax (do not over mix-- will make tough muffins)
  • For large muffins-- bake for 20-25 minutes or until inserted toothpick is clean
Yield:  approximately 17 large muffins

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment