We LOVE spicy foods in our house, so jalapeno was a necessary ingredient. The inspiration came from my the supervising teacher during my teaching internship in Georgia in 2008. She was such an amazing cook-- she always made sure I was fed, and fed well.
Having grown up in the South, I have had my fair share of cornbread, but I will go out on a limb here to make the claim that this is BY FAR the best damn cornbread I have ever had!
- 1 medium size jalapeno (remove seeds and chop finely)
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup shaken buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese (grated)
- Preheat oven to 400 and seed and dice up jalapeno.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, jalapeno, and grated cheese.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together milk, buttermilk, oil, and egg.
- Pour liquid mixture into dry mixture and stir together (just until dry ingredients are moist).
- Spray muffin tins and fill 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.