Saturday, October 6, 2012

Hungry Hungry Hummus

So, the husband and I were trying to find ways to cut corners and save a little money the next few months and we thought... since we both consume an ungodly amount of hummus each week with lunch and afternoon snacks, why not make our own? 

We have been really great about eating in and shopping the sales since Doodle Bug was born. We've still managed to even take a few trips. I went to Las Vegas with my childhood best friends for a Bachelorette Weekend in March, as a family we went to California for a week in July, and just last weekend I went to Atlanta for another Bachelorette Party. We will be going back up to the ATL later this week for Linsey and Dave's wedding. I have had four friends get engaged in the past year and 1/2! I am loving all the amazing wedding festivities, but my wallet has gone into retirement, and I've only got my change purse to work with for the next few months. What can a girl do where she has another Bachelorette Weekend in February in NYC to save up for?? The answer-- get crafty and thrifty in the kitchen!

We have tried to make our own hummus before, but never really LIKED the way it tasted. A co-worker told me this week that she makes her own and that the key to yummy hummus is Tahini. DUH! Why did we skip this important ingredient in the past?? Probably because we were trying to be suppa thrifty. So, if you are contemplating making your own hummus, Tahini is a MUST BUY. It will run you about $5-$10 depending on the size jar you buy, but it will last through quite a few hummus batches. 


Here's the modified recipe I used (this is a double batch of hummus-- one for me and one for the husband):



Ingredients:

2 15ounce cans of chickpeas
2 Tablespoons olive oil (next time I'm going to try to make with coconut oil-- so good for you!)
4 Tablespoons Tahini paste 
1 teaspoon salt 
pinch ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
dash of crushed red pepper flakes 
Juice of 1 fresh lemon
1/4 cup water
6 large garlic cloves (back away students!!!)

Directions:
Drain one can of chickpeas and lightly rinse. Pour rinsed chickpeas into food processor. Add second can of chickpeas with the juice. Combine the rest of the ingredients in the food processor and mix until creamy (about 1 minute). While hummus is mixing add 1/2 Tablespoon or more extra olive oil to smooth the consistency.

This made enough hummus for my husband and I for an entire week! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment