Doodle Bug became so attached to her daily muffins that I am constantly challenging myself to find yummy new and creative ways to incorporate necessary fruits and veggies in her daily diet via muffies. For a few solid weeks muffies were ALL THE CHILD WOULD EAT! Now, even though she will eat other foods, she still loves to have her morning muffie.
This week's muffins are inspired by Keeping Up with the Joneses: Banana Oatmeal Muffins. If you haven't checked out that blog... what are you waiting for... hit it up right now! They seem like such a sweet/nice couple... and they have just had their first child a few days ago! How exciting :)
So, here's what I made for my little bug this week. Hopefully they will keep her satisfied while I am in Atlanta this weekend for a Bachelorette Party! She has mama's milk in the freezer and muffies for a treat!
One Smart Cookie rendition of Banana Oatmeal Muffins
Lil Miss Muffie's Morning Muffie
2-1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (not the quick cooking)
1 cup Greek yogurt
2 ripe bananas (speckled)
1/3 cup applesauce (I make my own, but you could easily use the prepackaged applesauce cups) This replaces the oil in the baking... yummier and healthier for Miss Muffie
3/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- In a food processor or blender, grind up the oats... make a "flour" consistency... it will be a little lumpy. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a stand mixer, beat together the brown sugar and applesauce.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract.
- In a small mixing bowl, smash bananas and stir together with Greek Yogurt.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together oat "flour", salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add oat mixture alternately with banana mixture to egg mixture a little bit at a time. Beat between each addition.
- Spray muffin tins with non stick spray and use a large cookie scoop to fill each 3/4 full.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes or until inserted tooth pick comes out clean.