Saturday, September 15, 2012

German Chocolate Cake for Pop


Today was my first attempt at a German Chocolate Cake. It took me a few hours start to finish, and after many sink-fulls of dishes and one failed attempt at the frosting/filling I am finally finished. I have to say that it wasn't quite as difficult as I expected, but it surely was no walk in the park either. 

The cake smelled so yummy when it was baking that I broke down and had to have a tiny taste.I haven't had chocolate in a few years, but I made an exception tonight by trying the bits that I had to trim off the top to make the cake level...WOW!

I sure know Pop will love his birthday cake tomorrow!


I'm including the recipe I used. My MIL gave me the recipe-- it came out of one of her cookbooks. I made 1/2 the original recipe and used 6 inch rounds. The recipe below is for  three 6 inch rounds.



Cake:

1/2 4 oz package German sweet chocolate
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk

Frosting:

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup butter
1 egg yolk (beaten)
2/3 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans  
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-3 squares semisweet chocolate  


Directions:

1. Line three greased 6 inch round pans with parchment paper. Grease and flour pans and set aside.

Quick tip for cutting parchment paper for layer cakes: 
Tear off one sheet of parchment paper
Fold parchment in 1/2 and then 1/2 again



Use sharp knife to trace around the pan and then cut through. You will have 4 rounds.


2. In a double broiler, melt chocolate with water and then set aside to cool. 

3. In stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in two egg yolks (one at a time) beating well after each addition. Blend in melted chocolate and vanilla. 

4. In a large bowl sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Blend well after each addition. (When adding my dry ingredients to my mixture in stand mixer I always use one of Doodle Bug's tiny cups. This allows you to add about 1/2 a cup at a time-- reducing flour spray all over the kitchen.)

Okay-- this is where it becomes a little complicated (unless you are a baller and own more than one stand mixer, but considering my husband and I are BOTH teachers... well-- I'll just have to roll up my sleeves and bust out the dish soap.
 

5. I own one stand mixer, so after step 4 I had to rinse the large bowl I used to combine my dry ingredients, and then transfer my creamed mixture to the large bowl. Set bowl aside and wash and dry stand mixer bowl. 


6. In stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment beat 2 egg whites until stiff white peaks form (about 4-6 minutes). Fold 1/4 of the beaten egg whites into the creamed mixture. Fold in the remaining egg whites.
While in the prep stages, after I separate the eggs, I always allow egg whites to come to room temperature  before beating. Room temperature eggs whites will beat better than cold egg whites.

7. Divide mixture evenly into prepared pans.



8. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pan for 10 or so minutes before removing to continue to cool on wire cooling racks. 



Frosting: (I'm including the way I used, because the directions from the original recipe resulted in sugary scrambled eggs for me)

1. In a small saucepan melt butter and set aside to cool. Whisk together yolk, sugar, and evaporated milk.

2. Heat mixture on low whisking CONSTANTLY until mixture thickens and is golden brown
(this will take a few minutes... at least you will have a nice arm workout by the end!). Remove from heat.

3. Stir in coconut, pecans, and vanilla extract, and set aside to cool. 



Assembly: 

Level the cakes using a large serrated knife. Spoon frosting mixture between each layer and on top. Melt semisweet chocolate and drizzle down the sizes and top of cake. Sprinkle top with coconut and pecans. 

Slice and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment