Saturday, November 24, 2012

Cabernet Cranberry Sauce

Blasphemy: I do not like Thanksgiving turkey- at all. I am a ham and sides gal... have been my whole life, and cranberry sauce from a can?? That does NOTHING to improve my odds of enjoying a piece of lovingly roasted and hand carved turkey. I do not relish in the prospects of next day leftover turkey sandwiches either-- I know I am a freak! All of that changed this year... and we can give all credit to- the. best. cranberry. sauce. ever. I didn't even think I liked loved cranberry sauce, but I do! This recipe makes a TON, but can stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to two months. We were going to THREE Thanksgivings, so we made this larger batch... you could easily half  or quarter the recipe to fit your own needs.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup Cabernet 
  • zest of one tangerine
  • juice of one tangering
  • 12 ounce package of cranberries 
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root (or more-- add based on your own taste)
Directions: 
  1. In a medium sauce pan on medium low heat, bring sugar and cabernet to a boil (stir constantly).
  2. Once the sugar mixture has come to a boil, add cranberries, cinnamon stick, tangerine zest, tangerine juice, and grated ginger. 
  3. Partially cover and allow to reduce for 10 minutes or so. Skins of cranberries will burst when they are done.
Serve warm or cold! I have eaten it three times in the past two days-- with TURKEY! Yum :)

No comments:

Post a Comment