Monday, March 18, 2013

Not your average politically incorrect brownie

St. Patrick's Day was quickly approaching this year, and I wanted a a new recipe to try. I love a good Car Bomb (I mean the tasty kind that comes from a pint glass of Guinness and shot glass full of Jameson and Bailey's), so I trolled pinterest until I found something that spiked my interest-- A Spicy Perspective's Brownies. I had every intention of following her recipe exactly-- take one look at her photos and you would want an exact replica as well, but my body had other plans for me.

I woke up Sunday morning feeling exhausted; I had spent all day Saturday (literally 12 hours) at a lactation convention passing out samples of my Smart Lactation Cookies and talking about a mile a minute about my product. Overall, it was such a fantastic day and a wonderful opportunity to get my name and product "out there", but boy was I tired! After packaging up some cookies for sale and meeting a repeat customer-- YAY!!--, I headed off to my school's annual Carnival fundraiser to work the booths and socialize with the masses. About two hours after arriving I had to leave, and my husband had to tuck me into bed-- I had a fever. I stayed in bed for about 4 hours, and when I woke up and was fever free all I could think about was how I wanted to promised the guys I would make these delicious brownies.

The husband and his friends went to the grocery store to pick up my supplies, but I was not geared up for a "from scratch" dessert, so I asked for a brownie mix instead to help speed things along.

The original recipe seems AMAZING, and next year I might just give it a shot because usually I really love baking from scratch, but if you aren't a freak like me, my simplified rendition of A Spicy Perspective's decadent dessert will have your family and friends toasting their Irish Coffee and asking for more.

** I know that the name of the cake is incredibly politically incorrect, and I in NO way agree of promoting the heinous act that inspired the name, BUT I do love the mixture of Guinness, Jameson, and Baileys... so, can we think of a more appropriate name for this delicious beverage already??**

Ingredients for Brownies (will depend on brand purchased):
I bought Ghirardelli Double Chocolate 
  •  1 egg
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • Recipe on box calls for 1/4 cup water, but instead use 1/2 cup Guinness
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Swirl (same from A Spicy Perspective):
  • 8 oz cream cheese softened
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
 Ingredients for Jameson's Ganache:
  • 1 bar of dark chocolate
  • 1/2 shot of whiskey 
  • 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Directions:
Fresh from the oven
  1. Preheat oven to 325 (or whatever your boxed brownie mix suggests), and butter and prepare your brownie pan
  2. Stir together all the brownie mix ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
  3. In your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the softened cream cheese and sugar. Add the egg and Bailey's (mix until completely smooth and incorporated).
  4. Pour 1/2 of brownie mix into prepared pan.
  5. Drizzle cream cheese on top
  6. Pour the rest of the brownie mix into the pan and use a spatula to "swirl" the ingredients (do not over mix).
  7. Bake for 30 minutes or until inserted tooth pick comes out clean.
  8. While brownies are baking make the ganache.
  9. With ganache
    1. In a double boiler melt together the baking bar and heavy cream, add the whiskey and stir until completely incorporated. 
  10. After brownies are cooled pour on the ganache (I made them last minute because I wasn't feeling well, so I popped them into the deep freezer for about 10 minutes to allow the ganache to set before cutting the brownies).
 Serve with your favorite Irish Coffee and enjoy!

the tasty beverage


No comments:

Post a Comment