Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Scones for the Fall

So, I have been on a scone baking kick for the past few weeks, and I think I have found my favorite recipe yet. It is officially October, so I can bust out the fall flavors and kick them into high gear!

My husband has a work breakfast once a month, and this month I told him to sign me up for scones. They were so easy to make that I thought it would be the perfect easy addition to their breakfast buffet. Well, last night he informs me, "AH... tomorrow is breakfast club." I had a meeting at my church, so I knew I would have to whip up something simple when I got home. I came home at around 8:30, and the house was empty. Doodle Bug, dad, and Archer (the whippet) had gone for a walk. I decided to take this opportunity to create a fun scone flavor instead of just making my previous recipe.

I found an interesting recipe for French Toast Scones with a Maple Glaze, so I thought I would take some ideas from this recipe as well as substituting some ingredients for what I had at home (no time to run to the grocery store!) and the flavors I like best.

This recipe was super easy and produced the best scones I have ever tasted! It is definitely a must try during these fall months!

Just a tip-- use Ceylon cinnamon-- there is absolutely NO comparison! 

Ingredients:

 For the scones:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 TBSP brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp all spice
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/8 tsp clove
  • 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1 egg, beaten
For the cinnamon sugar topping:
  • 2 TBSP sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
For the glaze:
  • 1 tsp pure organic amber honey
  • 1-2 tsp pure maple syrup
  • 2 tsp milk
  • 1 tsp heavy whipping cream (or more if needed)
  • 1 pinch cinnamon and all spice
  • 1 TBSP or more powdered sugar (to thicken)
Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, all spice, clove, and pumpkin pie spice.
  3. Cut cold butter into the four mixture. You can use a pastry fork or two forks. mixture should look like small crumbs. I always grate my butter first (just makes it easier to evenly distribute). 
  4. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together heavy whipping cream, egg, and vanilla.
  5. Make a well in the center of the flour and butter mixture. Pour cream mixture in the center and fold in so that all the ingredients are combined. 
  6. I wanted to make more than 8 scones for this recipe, so I used a medium scoop. Scoop onto pan lined with parchment paper.
  7. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture on top and brush with heavy cream.
  8. Bake for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned (I always rotate my pans 1/2 way through baking because I have a gas oven). 
  9. Take scones out and let cool on a wire rack.
  10. Prepare glaze: combine all glaze ingredients together and drizzle over cooled scones. Allow glaze to set before storing.
  11. Best eaten within 24 hours. 
Yield: 18 small round scones. 

These are DELISH!

No comments:

Post a Comment